Nettle is a strong, natural fibre with a long, fascinating history having been used in textiles, cordage and basketry for centuries from prehistoric times to the present.
Our Nettle yarn is soft and hand spun with the natural texture and some over spin creating a lovely thick and thin effect.
Fabric made from Nettle is similar in look and feel to Linen and Hemp. Nettle softens beautifully with wear, definitely does not itch and is gentle against the skin with a lovely drape.
The fibres of the stinging nettle are hollow which gives nettle fabric natural insulating properties - keeping you lovely and warm in winter and cool in summer.
Nettle is extracted from the stinging-nettle plant - the bark is removed and the Nettle fibre extracted from the stem of the plant.
A highly sustainable and eco friendly crop, Nettle is naturally resistant to pests and disease and is pesticide and fertiliser free. It is a much greener fibre than many other plant-based alternatives including cotton.
- Natural fibre which breaths - perfect for summer garments, hats, bags, jewellery, face washers & body scrubbers
- Single ply
- Hypoallergenic - ideal for sensitive skin
- Extremely durable and strong
- Hand spun using natural Nettle fibre
- Biodegradable and sustainable crop
- Soft and pliable - suitable for knitting, crochet, weaving & crafts.
Browse our Inspirations page for creative ideas for our fabulous yarns.
- 100% Nettle grown in the Himalayas
- Weight: approx 100gm / 3.53oz
- Width: 1 -2mm / 0.04 - 0.08in
- Length: approx 180m / 197 yards
- Suggested needle: 3.25 - 6mm (US 3 - 10)
Nice to Know
- All ORA orders are packed in a gorgeous unbleached, calico drawstring bag
- All ORA yarns are stored away from the sunlight and in a pet free and smoke free environment
- There may be slight variations between dye lots
- Machine washable in cold water
This yarn is exactly as I'd hoped.
Lovely good quality yarn. Perfect for my project, thanks.
Love it. Can't wait to get some more.